Pts’aans Ts’uusgim G̱ayt

Sim’oogit: Ni’isjoohl
Pdeeḵ: G̱anada
Wiln̓aat’ahl:
Wilp: Ni’isjoohl
Miinhl Gihlee’e: Oyee g̱ans Gwaanis
G̱an̓agwit: 40 feet
K’uuhl wil gahlkwt: 1850s

Adoḵs w̓itkwt hli ts’iw̓int:

1. Wahl gat Hlgu Gwiis T’ukw’t
Hooyithl hlgu g̱aydim w̓ahlin wilaa loom-lil̓git
2. Hlgu wilksihlgum G̱aaḵ
3. Dax̱yukwdihl gat hli hlatsx̱hl Maaksgum m̓isḵ’ayaay̓t
4. Maaksgum m̓isḵ’ayaay̓t
5. Hlgu wilksihlgum G̱aaḵ

Gisi-g̱ageets’ihl ḵ’alii-aks ahl ank’idaa, n̓iwil sag̱aw-hitkwhl pt’saanim Hlgu g̱ayt luu-ksgigeenix ahl g̱alts’ap. Giigwihl Royal Ontario Scottish Museum ahl Edinburgh ahl 1929. N̓iwil ḵ’ay hihitkwt sa tgun.

Pole of Small Hat

Chief: Ni’isjoohl
Tribe: Raven
Clan:
House: Ni’isjoohl
Carver: Oyee and Gwaanis
Height: 40 feet
Year: 1850s

Crest figures from top to bottom:

1. Person named Hlgu Gwiis T’ukw’t wearing the “Small Hat”, an old style ceremonial hat
2 Prince of Ravens
3. Person holding the tail of the White Bullhead
4. White Bullhead
5. Prince of Ravens

Travelling downriver past Ank’idaa, the Pole of Small Hat stood first at the top of the village. It was purchased by the Royal Scottish Museum in Edinburgh in 1929, now called the Royal Museum, and it is still displayed there today.

Historical Pictures of Pole of Small Hat in Ank'idaa (click for larger image)

Pole of Small Hat Thumbnail 1Pole of Small Hat Thumbnail 2Pole of Small Hat Thumbnail 3Pole of Small Hat Thumbnail 4Pole of Small Hat Thumbnail 4 Pole of Small Hat Thumbnail 4